• This is a lovely way to prepare summer squash or zucchini – thinly sliced, marinated briefly with mint in olive oil and lemon juice, tossed with toasted pine nuts, and served with shaved Parmesan.
• Makes 4 servings
TOAST & SLICE
• Toast raw pine nuts in a small skillet on medium high heat. Stir gently as the pine nuts start to brown.
• When slightly browned, remove from heat and let cool.
• Slice the squash into paper-thin slices using a mandoline or other slicer.
• Stack the mint leaves, roll them together lengthwise and slice crosswise to make very thin slivers.
|4 small (1 lb.)|
1/4 cup (1 oz.)
|zucchini…or mixed yellow & green summer squash|
Pine nuts – toasted
• Combine the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk together.
• Whisk in the salt and pepper.
|Extra virgin olive oil|
Lemon juice – freshly squeezed
Sea salt – fine
TOSS, LET STAND & GARNISH
• Pour this dressing over all other contents in another bowl.
• Let mixture stand for at least 10 minutes to soften the squash and develop the flavors.
• In serving dish or on four individual salad plates, garnish with shavings of cheese made with a vegetable peeler and a few sprigs of fresh mint.
|Mint leaves – loosely packed|
Cheese – Grana Padano, Parmesan or Asagio
Mint sprigs – fresh