- Cut the vegetables into pieces that will cook quickly and evenly, with a consistent thickness of no more than 3/4 to 1 inch.
- Soak vegetables in cold water for about 30 minutes before you grill them to keep them from drying out.
- Pat dry, then brush lightly with oil to prevent sticking.
- Assemble kabobs, fill a grilling basket… or wrap vegetables in heavy-duty aluminum foil to bring attractive colour to your meals!
• Cut off ends
• Soak in water for 30 minutes to an hour
• Pat dry and brush with olive oil
• Place on grill, turning every minute
• Remove when tips start to turn brown
• Add some extra flavor by mixing a little sesame oil in the olive oil before you brush them.
• Cut through the middle of the pepper top to bottom
• Remove stems, seeds and whitish ribs
• Brush lightly with oil and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side.
• Brush with oil.
• Grill whole on each side, 2-3 minutes
• To reduce the heat, cut off the stems and pull out the seeds.
CORN ON THE COB – with husks tied back
• Gently pull back the husks but don’t remove
• Remove the silk and cut off the very end
• Soak in cold water for about 30 minutes
• Dry and brush with butter
• Fold the husks back down and tie or twist the ends
• Place on grill for about 5 to 7 minutes
• Turn to avoid burning.
CORN ON THE COB – wrapped in aluminum foil
• Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
• In a medium bowl, mix together the chili powder, oregano, onion powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
• Blend in the softened butter. Apply this mixture to each ear of corn
• Place each ear onto a piece of aluminum foil big enough to wrap the corn. Wrap like a burrito, and twist the ends to close.
• Place wrapped corn on the preheated grill. Turn corn occasionally during cooking.
• Cook 20 to 30 minutes, until tender when poked with a fork.
• Cut lengthwise for smaller eggplants or in disks top to bottom for larger eggplants
• Soak in water for 30 minutes
• Pat dry, brush with oil and grill 2-3 minutes.
• Take whole bulbs and cut off the root end
• Brush with olive oil and place cut side down over a hit fire
• Grill garlic bulbs for about 10 minutes or until the skin is brown.
• Rinse off dirt and pat dry
• Brush with oil and grill: 4-5 minutes for small mushrooms, 6-8 minutes for large.
• Use a grill basket or topper for small mushrooms.
• Remove skin and cut horizontally about 1/2 inch thick.
• Brush with oil and grill 3-4 minutes.
• Wash thoroughly and dry.
• Rub with oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and grill 35-40 minutes, turning occasionally.
TOMATOES – technically a fruit
• Cut in half, top to bottom.
• Brush with a light coating of oil and grill cut side down 2-3 minutes.
ZUCCHINI & SMALL SQUASH
• Slice 1/2 inch thickness. Brush with oil and grill 2-3 minutes per side.
• Small squash can be cut down the middle and grilled in halves.
• Optional: Heat olive oil in a small pan, and add garlic cloves. Cook over medium heat until the garlic starts to sizzle and become fragrant. Brush the slices of squash with the garlic oil, and season with salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil & grill 5-10 minutes per side, turning occasionally to prevent sticking or burning…or use a grilling basket to easily brush on additional garlic oil. Onion & sweet potato are great additions.