• A medley of summer fruits.
• Makes an 8-9” pastry tart pan with a removable bottom
• Filling can be refrigerated for up to 3 days!
SWEET PASTRY CRUST
|1 ½ cups||Flour – all purpose|
|1/8 tsp||Sea salt|
|½ cup||Butter – unsalted|
|¼ cup||Sugar – granulated|
|1 large||Egg – lightly beaten|
• Preheat oven to 400 0 F. Butter pan
• Sift flour & salt in a bowl. Set aside
• In mixer, beat butter until softened. Add sugar & beat until light & fluffy.
• Gradually add egg until just mixed.
•Gently combine flour mixture & mix until a ball forms. Note: Overworked pastry becomes hard when baked.
• Flatten dough into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate for 20 minutes to firm.
• On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into 11” circle – approx. 1/8” thick. Place in tart pan. With a small floured pastry piece, lightly press actual pastry into bottom & up sides of pan. Prick bottom.
• Cover & chill for 20 minutes.
• Line unbaked pastry shell with parchment paper & fill with rice.
• Place on center rack. Bake crust for 20-25 min. until dry & golden.
• Cool on rack with rice removed.
LEMON-ALMOND PASTRY CREAM
|1 ¼ cups||Milk|
|½||Vanilla bean – split lengthwise|
|Zest of 3 large||Lemon|
|¼ cup||Egg yolks|
|1/8 cup||Sugar – granulated|
|2 tbsp||Flour – all purpose|
• Use stainless steel bowl to mix sugar & yolks.
• Sift flour & cornstarch. Combine mixtures to form a smooth paste. Set aside.
• In saucepan combine milk and vanilla until boiling. Watch carefully: done when milk foams up to top of pan.
• Remove from heat, add slowly to egg mixture, whisking to prevent curdling (strain if it occurs).
• Remove vanilla bean, scrape out seeds & add seeds to egg mixture.
• Place the mixture back into saucepan over med. heat – whisking constantly.
• At boil, whisk another 30-60 sec., until thickening makes it hard to stir.
• Remove from heat & add lemon juice.
• Pour into clean bowl, immediately cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate up to 3 days.
• Beat before using to remove possible lumps
• Fill pastry crust with the chilled cream.
• Begin placing fruit on the tart’s perimeter, artfully working inwards to arrang berries with their rounded side facing up.
• Optional: Glaze.
Recipe courtesy of: www.thejoyofbaking.com AND www.bigoven.com