• Makes one 9″ two-crust pie
Butter (plus 1 tablespoon)
Shortening (plus 1 tablespoon)
Preheat oven to 425º F.
• Place flour and salt into a medium mixing bowl or into the food processor.
• Cut in shortening and butter and work with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture is like coarse corn meal.
….• If using a food processor use the “S” blade.
• Sprinkle in cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until all flour is moistened and forms a ball.
• Slightly chill until ready to roll out the pie crust.
|Sugar, up to 1 ¼ cups (depending on sweetness of cherries and personal preference)|
Cherries (about 3-1/2 lbs.) – pitted
• In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar and flour.
• Mix well with cherries.
• Roll pastry out on a cutting board that is dusted with flour and sugar. Place bottom crust in 9” pie plate.
• Add cherry mixture.
• Sprinkle with almond extract and dot with butter.
•Moisten the outer edge of bottom crust with cold water, so that the top crust will adhere.
• Cover pie with top crust, crimping edges and adding slits to allow for steam to escape.
• Sprinkle sugar lightly on top of crust before baking.
• Cut a piece of aluminum foil, about 3″ wide, and cover the edge of the pie to prevent excessive browning.
• Bake at 35-45 minutes or until crust is brown and juices are bubbly.
….• Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
• Allow to cool until it is lukewarm before serving (approx. 3 hours).