• Makes 8 servings
• Using butternut squash keeps the cake moist.
• Keep this cake on hand as a healthy afternoon snack or breakfast treat.
• Preheat oven to 350°F.
• Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
….• Place the squash halves, cut side up, on a baking pan.
• Cover with foil and bake until tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 30 minutes.
• Uncover and let sit until cool enough to handle.
• Use a spoon to scoop out the cooked squash from the peel.
• Mash with a fork.
• Measure out 1 cup of the squash and refrigerate any remaining in an airtight container for future use.
|1 small||Butternut Squash|
DRY INGREDIENTS (flour mixture)
• Turn oven down to 325° F. Butter an 8- by 8-in. baking pan and set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients.
• Set aside.
|Whole-wheat Pastry Flour|
Nutmeg – freshly ground
Black Pepper – freshly ground
• With a mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth and a bit fluffy.
• Add eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition.
• Mix in vanilla.
1 1/2 cups
|Unsalted Butter – at room temperature|
Light Brown Sugar – packed
Powdered Icing Sugar or Whipped Cream – as topping
COMBINE & BAKE
• Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine.
• Stir in the cup of mashed squash.
• Add remaining flour mixture and stir just enough to combine.
• Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
• Serve plain or with a dusting of powdered sugar or a dollop of whipped cream.
Recipe courtesy of: http://find.myrecipes.com