Recipe: Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake sounds odd, but Blueberries and Lemon pair so well, together, and the zucchini in this cake keeps it so moist! It’s a perfect summer dessert to enjoy on its own, or with coffee in the morning. Want it less sweet? Skip the glaze and candied lemons. The naked loaf will also freeze well, and is a great way to use up zucchini if you have it.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Candied Lemons
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Icing sugar
- Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 320°F and prepare a loaf tin by lining it with baking paper., or spray with cooking spray.
- In a big bowl mix the flour with baking soda and baking powder. Don’t mix in yet the almonds.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice, almond milk and the sugar. Stir well
- Mix both mixtures just until combined and gently add the almond flour. Add the grated zucchini and blueberries last.
- Transfer into the baking tin and bake for 45 min.
- While cake is baking, prepare your lemons. Slice lemon into rings 1/8″ thick. Melt the water and sugar in a shallow saucepan and add lemons. Poach slices about 20 minutes, Remove and allow to dry on wax paper.
- Let the cake cool down completely before you decorate. Mix your glaze of icing sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze. Drizzle over cake and top with candied lemons and blueberries.
Recipe: Blueberry Basil Pizza
Blueberry Season is here and I am ALL FOR IT! We used to pick blueberries as a kid at my grandmothers and I didn’t mind them, but they were never my favourite. 4 years ago when I was pregnant, I had bought a case of Blueberries from Ralph’s Farm Market and had the intentions of sharing with my in-laws and freezing a few. Now I don’t know what Ralph’s growing secret is, but Ralph’s Blueberries were nothing like I had before. BIG, plump juicy berries with just the most beautiful flavour. I probably ate a pound in the car on the way home, and I never actually ended up sharing them with anybody. Now I buy them annually, freeze a ton to last the year, and use them in a variety of recipes so I can enjoy them with my family during the growing season (yes, now I share!)
Blueberry Basil pizza is the new appetizer/lunch/dinner that you didn’t know you needed to try. I cheat on the crust by using Indian Delight Naan bread, and its super quick to make in 10 minutes or less. If you make one new recipe this year, make this one!
Blueberry Basil Pizza
- 1 Indian Delight Naan bread
- 3 Tbsp goat cheese
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- 6 Basil Leaves (fresh), sliced thin and divided
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- Spread the goat cheese on top of the Naan bread.
- Sprinkle on blueberries and half the basil.
- Top with mozzarella
Heat to just melt the cheese on a BBQ, broiled in a toaster oven or in your regular oven until the cheese is golden brown. Top with remaining fresh basil and enjoy.
Pro tip: If you want to enjoy this a little more sweet, drizzle honey or balsamic reduction over top.
Thank you Christine Brightman for sharing this lovely recipe!